Home Sport GAA 14 man Laois fall short to Meath in second game of the...

14 man Laois fall short to Meath in second game of the John Kerins Cup

Laois 0-10 Meath 0-14
U-20 John Kerins Cup

The Laois U-20’s welcomed Meath this afternoon in Round 2 of the John Kerins Cup where they fell short by four points in miserable conditions.

Having lost out to Kildare in Round 1, manager Eddie Kinsella made multiple changes to last week’s team.

Laois were first to hit the target thanks to a Sean Michael Corcoran free after a minute of play.

Meath leveled the game from an offensive mark just moments later before they raised the white flag for the second time to go ahead for the first time.

Meath’s next four points came courtesy of Luke Mitchell in the form of two frees and two scores from play – the second as a result of a superb save from Laois goalkeeper, Niall Gorman.

Emo’s Jack Owens found the target in the 20th minute, Laois’ first score in almost 18 minutes.

Two frees from Corcoran followed to bring the game back to two points at half time. Conditions were wet and miserable in Portlaoise but Laois didn’t shy away from the battle of the second half.

Meath went three points up in the opening minutes of the second half but Damon Larkin responded with a point fisted over the bar.

Meath found the target once again before a beauty of a score came off the boot of Colin Slevin. Corcoran added two frees to Laois’ score to bring it back to just a point after 51 minutes.

Lacey picked up a yellow card before Meath increased their lead to three points but Damien McCaul was on hand to add a point for the hosts.

The next few minutes were vital for Laois but a red card for Slevin, after picking up his second yellow, was a big blow heading for the dying minutes and suddenly, they were down to 14 men.

Meath pointed a free as did Laois’ Daragh Galvin but it was too late in the game for any major comebacks.

Meath proved too strong on the day resulting in Laois’ second loss of the John Kerins Cup.

SCORERS – LAOIS: Sean Michael Corcoran; 0-5 (0-5 frees), Jack Owens; 0-1, Damon Larkin; 0-1, Colin Slevin; 0-1, Damien McCaul; 0-1, Daragh Galvin; 0-1 (0-1 free) MEATH: Luke Mitchell; 0-8 (0-6 frees), Cian Rodgers; 0-1, Matt Moyles; 0-1, Dylan Keating; 0-1, Paddy Matthews; 0-1, Aaron Lynch; 0-1, Cathal Kickey; 0-1

LAOIS: Niall Gorman (Emo); Michael Dowling (Portlaoise), Alex Mohan (Portarlington), Neil Keane (The Heath); Sean O’Flynn (Courtwood), Gary Saunders (Portlaoise), Jack Lacey (St Joseph’s); Barry Howlin (O’Dempsey’s), Sean Michael Corcoran (Portarlington); Dean Brophy (St Joseph’s), Colin Slevin (Portarlington), PJ Daly (The Heath); Damon Larkin (Portlaoise), Ross Bolger (Killeshin), Jack Owens (Emo) Subs: Jack Owens for O’Flynn, Daragh Galvin for Saunders (half time), Cillian Horgan for Howlin (44 minutes), Fionn Holland for Lacey (blood sub, 50 minutes), Damien McCaul for Bolger (50 minutes), Cian Doyle for Owens (54 minutes), Sean O’Neill for Brophy (57 minutes)

MEATH – Eoin Griffin; James O’Hare, Sean Ryan, Ben Wyer; Cathal Hickey, Liam Byrne, Michael Murphy; Josh Carlon, Colm Doherty; Paddy Matthews, Cian Rodgers, Matt Moyles; Jack Flynn, Aaron Lynch, Luke Mitchell Subs: Dylan Garigan, Dylan Keating, Richie Coffey, Stephen Breen, Conal Courtney, Darragh Swaine, Jack McMahon, Alan Mulvaney

SEE ALSO – Remember The Game: DCU topple Laois in 2009 O’Byrne Cup opener