With the General Election now called and the date set for Saturday, February 8, we take an early look at the battle that is set to unfold in the re-formed Laois-Offaly constituency.
Six outgoing TDs, one senator and three sitting councillors are among the field.
Presenter Steven Miller is joined by our reporter John Whelan to look ahead to the campaign in our latest Talking Politics Podcast.
John contested the last two elections for Labour but is back in a reporting capacity now as he was for every election from 1977 to 2007.
Among the issues we explore are:
- Who is most in danger of losing out?
- Will the Green Wave carry into Laois-Offaly?
- Can Fianna Fáil win back a third seat?
- Are Charlie Flanagan, Sean Fleming and Brian Stanley all safe?
- Who’ll top the poll?
- Will John Leahy make it third time lucky in Offaly?
- What impact will Pauline Flanagan have in Laois?
- No Labour candidate for first time in history of state?
We will discuss the Kildare South constituency (which now takes in Portarlington, Killenard and Ballybrittas) in next week’s episode.
You can listen to it in full below and you can also now subscribe to LaoisToday on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.