In 1843 Abbeyleix South National School opened its doors to local children.
169 years later, Bishop Michael Burrows opened the new state of the art facility in April 2012.
The school is Church of Ireland with strong links to their church.
The two buildings are very close with pupils only a few steps away from the services they attend.
Speaking at the opening, school principal Ruth Wallace thanked a number of people for their contribution to the process including former principal Joan Lochaden and Canon Patrick Harvey.
Chairman of the board of management, Canon Patrick Harvey also spoke and praised the work of Ms Lochaden, principal Ruth Wallace and vice chair of the board of management, Robin Talbot.
Alf Harvey was there on the special occasion and he took some great pictures,
Check them out below: