The Laois Walks Festival, which was scheduled to take place next month, has been postponed.
The annual walking extravaganza which sees walkers and hikers travel all over the county was due to run from June 1 to 30.
However, it appears as if outdoor gatherings will be limited to 100 people in June and some of the walks in Laois would attract a number far in excess of that.
Chairman of Laois Walks Festival, Dominic Hartnett, said that unlike last year, they do hope to run the festival at some stage this year.
He said: “We have taken the difficult decision to defer the festival pending a review of health and welfare guidelines.
“Festival Coordinator Susan Lawlor of Durrow, myself and our committee will undertake a review shortly on the matter.
“It is hope the Festival Committee along with the local loop walking groups and community groups around the county will end the summer with a festival.
“As restrictions ease and the Covid-19 situation improves, we are very hopeful that our event will go ahead this year.
“However, we have to be certain that we can cater for everyone who wishes to walk with us in a safe manner and unfortunately, June will come too soon to achieve this.”
This will be the 19th staging of the annual walking festival around the county after it was cancelled last year.
Traditionally in July, the Laois Walks Festival was set to move to the month of June last year before the Covid-19 pandemic struck.