Home Sport GAA Powerful Portlaoise put Colt-Shanahoe to the sword to maintain fine start

Powerful Portlaoise put Colt-Shanahoe to the sword to maintain fine start

Colt-Shanahoe 1-15 Portlaoise 2-24
Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship Group B Round 2

Portlaoise had a big win over Colt-Shanahoe in Ratheniska this afternoon to put one foot into the semi finals.

A controversial goal from Keith Murphy on the brink of half time gave Portlaoise a lead that they would never give up which would see them twelve point winners over their opponents.

This was Colt-Shanahoe’s second defeat and they must get the better of Camross in two weeks time or they will face their second relegation playoff.

The game began with a minute silence in memory of the late Owen ‘Rake’ McDonald of Portlaoise who passed away last week.

Aaron Bergin and Mossy O’Connor traded frees in the opening ten minutes of the game to see Portlaoise lead 0-4 to 0-3.

Colt-Shanahoe then scored a goal to see them take the lead for the first time. Shane Bowe fired in a high ball into Paul Kerwin on the edge of the box.

Kerwin flicked the sliotar over his shoulder to see it fly into the roof of the net.

Aaron Bergin, Gary Bergin and Sean Culleton replied with points to level the match – 0-7 to 1-4.

Portlaoise continued to dominate the game after the water break as Aaron Bergin (two) and Cormac Rigney pointed while Mossy O’Connor lodged over two frees before Keith Murphy scored Poartlaoise’s first goal.

The biggest moment of the game came one minute before the interval when Keith Murphy scored that aforementioned goal.

The ball was played along the sideline to Keith Murphy and despite Colt-Shanahoe’s protestations referee Jamie McDonald adjudged the ball remained in play and Murphy raced through to score a goal.

Mossy O’Connor converted a free soon after to put three points separating the sides at the interval – 1-10 to 0-7.

Dayle Bergin and Sean O’Callaghan pointed to bring the deficit back to a point. However, Portlaoise scored 2-2 in three minutes which gave them a comprehensive lead over Colt-Shanahoe.

Aaron Bergin and Eoin O’Connor point while Keith Murphy won a breaking ball and drove the sliotar into the roof of the net.

Paul Kerwin and Mossy O’Connor pointed before the water break to leave the scoreline 2-13 to 1-12.

Portlaoise completely dominated the third quarter to extend their lead even further.

Taylor scored four points from distance while Aaron Bergin, Cormac Rigney, Cathal Duggan and Keith Murphy all raised white flags.

SCORERS – Colt-Shanahoe: Mossy O’Connor 0-9 (eight frees), Paul Kerwin 1-1, Dayle Bergin 0-3 (all frees), Sean O’Callaghan and Anthony Dunne 0-1 each Portlaoise: Aaron Bergin 0-11 (ten frees), Keith Murphy 2-1, Cian Taylor 0-4, Sean Culleton 0-3, Cormac Rigney 0-2, Gary Bergin 0-1, Eoin O’Connor 0-1, Cathal Duggan 0-1.

COLT-SHANHOE: Brian McDermott; Ger Doolan, Brian Guilfoyle, Darren Brennan; Arran McGowan, Dayle Bergin, Daniel Butler; Cian Moffit, Enda Mulhall; Shane Bowe, Sean O’Callaghan, Robert Delaney; Paudi McDonald, Paul Kerwin, Mossy O’Connor. Subs: Anthony Dunne for McDonald (39, inj)

PORTLAOISE: Eoghan Nealon; Bryan Naughton, Paddy Norton, Dean Lynch; Ross Brennan, Ciaran McEvoy, Eoin O’Connor; Eddie Critchley, Cathal Duggan; Jamie Keenan, Aaron Bergin, Cormac Rigney; Keith Murphy, Gary Bergin, Sean Culleton. Subs: David O’Mahony for Keena (34), Cian Taylor for Gary Bergin (41)

Referee: Jamie McDonald (Rosenallis)

SEE ALSO –Rathdowney-Errill maintain 100% start but King injury overshadows Abbeyleix win

Previous articleRathdowney-Errill maintain 100% start but King injury overshadows Abbeyleix win
Next articleIncredible third quarter blitz from The Harps sees them claim U-15 ‘A’ hurling title in style