RTE TV cameras made a welcome return to SOLAS last weekend when on Friday July 22, the crew filming the 3-part environmental programme ‘What Planet are you on?’ followed the Ryan family from Portarlington as they visited SOLAS to shop at a specially convened Farmers Market featuring ‘The Red Shed Organic farm’, ‘Taste of Laois’ and ‘Refillz’ stalls.
The Ryan’s next moved to the Food Court to choose from the food menu which clearly indicated which options had low carbon footprint.
David Maher Co-owner of SOLAS explains: “We are so grateful to Naomi and her family for making the film crew aware of what we are doing here at SOLAS which led to us being included in the programme.
“The weather, atmosphere and crowd on the day made this a really special event which I believe will come across brilliantly on TV.
“It is yet another milestone in our journey to make SOLAS a national destination for sustainable living.”
The show is due air in October 2022 as part of science week.
Our Featured option this week is:
- Grilled Halloumi burger with crispy onions and tomato salsa
Other Specials for the weekend:
- Pancakes with Nutella or Berries
- Halloumi Burger
- Avocado Toast
- French Toast
- BBQ burger
- Beetroot and Feta Cheese Salad
- Bank Holiday Monday 1 August 2-4pm: Join Jazz Musician Mario for an afternoon of relaxing jazzy tunes (Free Event)
- Wednesday 3 August: Finlay’s Fresh whole milk ‘Moo Cow’ automatic glass bottle milk and milkshake dispensing machine is due to be installed @ SOLAS. See Instagram @moo_cow_fresh_milk. The hope is to have it fully operational by mid-August
- Saturday 6 August 2-6pm: Agri Innovation Development Workshop Free Event aimed at the local farming and food producing community
SOLAS Clothes Swap
In the face of throwaway fashion, clothes swapping is one of the most environmentally friendly ways to reduce waste, contribute less to the increasing accumulation of toxic chemicals in the environment and upgrade your wardrobe without spending a penny!
SOLAS Eco Garden Shop will be running a Clothes Swap Event on 7th August at our monthly craft market.
How it works:
- Drop your unwanted, clean clothes to SOLAS, anytime prior to the event
- 10 items per person
- Receive a token per item of clothing
- Bring your token with you to our Clothes Swap Event
- Swap that token for a new item on 7th August 11-3pm at SOLAS
- Womens and Mens clothes only
Contact Georgina for more details 0830452810
Weekly Farmers’ Market
- This Saturday 30 July 10am-2pm will see a sold-out market full range of bakery, fresh meat, fish and organic beef. As ever the focus of the market is on fresh, local and organic
SOLAS – Plants
This week is a planting combination of the week! Beautiful mix of blues, purple and orange such as our Crocosmia ‘George Davidson’ Montretia or our Salvia ‘Rockin Sky Blue’. Perfect for a late summer border and also very popular for bees. As ever our team of horticulturists will be on hand this bank Holiday weekend.
SOLAS – Shop
Our featured shop product this week is our range of Metal wall art panels. These decorative garden features are perfect on a rendered wall or used as a backdrop for luscious planting. Available in store and online
The weather for the weekend is again forecast to be warm, a little cloudy but dry.