The snow continues to fall and one of Laois’s busiest roads has been closed.
The N80 between Portlaoise and Stradbally has been closed by Gardai due to heavy snow.
AA Roadwatch say Gardaí are also advising people to avoid the Abbeyleix/Crettyard Rd (R430) due to treacherous conditions with snow.
The local Abbeyleix/Castlecomer Rd is also impassable due to snow.
Meanwhile, Gardai have released the following statement:
“Snowfall continues to effect routes around Tipperary, Kilkenny, Offaly, Laois, Westmeath and Meath.
“There is a status Yellow Snow and Ice warning for Leinster and Tipperary issued by Met Eireann which is valid until 8am tomorrow.
“Driving conditions are poor in the midlands on the M4, M7 and M8 with emergency services clearing a collision on the M8 between Junction 3 and 4 Northbound. Motorists are asked to exercise caution and reduce speed.
• It takes longer to stop a vehicle in snow or on icy roads so slow down and allow extra distance between you and the vehicle in front.
• Keep a sharp lookout for pedestrians, cyclists and other vulnerable road users.
• Keep your windows clear of snow during your journey.
• Manoeuvre gently; avoid harsh braking, acceleration or steering as these can induce a skid.
• Use the highest gear possible to reduce the engine revs as this will help avoid wheel spin.
• When travelling downhill, especially through a series of bends, select a low gear as early as possible and allow your speed to reduce using the brake pedal gently.