Home News Council Property Tax to remain unchanged in Laois for 2020

Property Tax to remain unchanged in Laois for 2020

Property Tax

Laois County Councillors have voted unanimously to leave the Property Tax Rate in the county unchanged.

The Council earned €495,000 from the tax last year and that was used to service roads, graveyards, playgrounds and much more.

Director of Services Gerry Murphy told how 42.9% of properties in Laois are valued in the lowest band between €1 and €100,000 and they pay €90.

A further 42.4% properties are in the €100,000 to €150,000 category and they each pay €225.

While just 1% of properties in Laois fall into the over €300,000 band and they pay €595.

Laois County Council gets to keep 80% of the money generated from this and the remaining 20% goes into a national fund which is redistributed among all of the councils.

The Council also pays the property tax and all local authority homes and this amounted to €200,000 last year.

All of the Councillors in the chamber commended the Council staff for how they have used the funds generated from this to carry out various projects around the county.

The meeting also heard that home owners pay the property tax on valuations done in 2013. The next valuation is due to be in late 2020 but could be put back even further.

However, the Thornhill Report, which governs the property tax, could lead to significant increases for home owners when the new valuations are carried out.

SEE ALSO – Injunctions dropped against protesting farmers

Previous articleEmo Rounders win 3 out of 4 All-Ireland Titles
Next articleMountrath secure quarter-final spot with tight win over Clonaslee
Steven Miller is owner and managing editor of LaoisToday.ie. Husband of Emily, father of William, Lillian and John, he's happiest when he's telling stories