A second Laois primary school has shut its doors before the Christmas break due to Covid-19 cases.
Portlaoise Educate Together NS announced the decision over the weekend – a move that follows what happened in Holy Family Senior School the week previous.
Parents were informed of the move on Friday with the school posting the news on their Facebook page.
They said: “Please note that following communication with the HSE, our patron and the Department of Education, a decision has been made to move to our online learning platforms for the remaining 2 days of this term.
“Children are not to attend the school building on Monday 21st and Tuesday 22nd of December.
“Your teachers will be in touch with you on Monday via Class Dojo/Google Classroom. An email was sent to all the families last night.
“We look forward to seeing everyone after the holidays, stay safe. Sinead Harte (Principal) and David Sullen (Chairperson).”
The decision follows after principal Sinead Harte spoke on RTE Radio One last week about the difficulties that the school was encountering with Covid.
Ms Harte revealed that as well as having 11 cases, that has generated 62 close contacts who must all now restrict their movements over the Christmas period.
At that time, she called on the Department of Education to allow schools who have confirmed cases to close.
Ms Harte took to Twitter today where she called on any parent who can – to keep their child at home for the next two days.
She said: “To any parent in two minds and able to keep kids home for these final two days, please do.
“Less risk to your family, less risk to staff in that classroom and one less close contact for principal to ring should there be a confirmed case over next few days.”